Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Indian Literature: Parable of Returning Love for Hatred

 

Parable of Returning Love for Hatred


        The Parable of Returning Love for Hatred is one of the literary pieces in India that was written in 5th Century BC. According to an article written by Chris Gage, the "Parable of Returning Love for Hatred" is one of the story that reflects the moral percepts of Gautama Buddha. 



The Parable of Returning Love for Hatred talks about a story of an orphan prince, Dighavu, sparing the King’s life. King Brahmadatta murdered the parents of the prince. Before the orphan prince’s father died he left a saying to his child. One day, the prince was singing and playing the flute, the King heard him and was pleased by Dighavu’s talent. Dighavu became the King’s attendant, even though the king does not know him. One day, when the king went hunting in the woods, he fell asleep. Dighavu wanted to murder King Brahmadatta but he stopped when he remembered what his father had said before his death, that love is the only thing that can appease hatred. When the King woke up from a nightmare, Dighavu, told him who he is and forgave him from murdering his parents.  And the King then gave back to Dighavu the kingdom of his father and the King also gave him his daughter to marry.


        
        Love and forgiveness are the themes found in the story. There are few characters in the story: the main characters are King Brahmadatta of Kasis and Dighavu, while other characters being mentioned in the story are the parents of Dighavu and the King's daughter. The setting happens in the forest of Benares, a particular city in India. It was written from the point of view of first person. The conflict was, man against himself, because Dighavu was first having a hard time deciding whether he should kill the King or not.

        Based on the title itself, we must not return hatred for hatred but rather we must return love for hatred. We must not seek revenge against our enemies for we know that it is morally wrong. Just because they did something bad against us does not mean that we will do the same. We must learn to forgive others even though we will never forget what they did, forgiveness is sometimes the only thing we can do to ease the pain and anger we are feeling inside.

        I have one experience before which I can consider as an example of returning love for hatred. Years ago when I was in the 10th Grade, I had this one classmate who usually says hello to me every morning. One morning, she stops talking to me and I could feel that she hated me based on how she looked at me. I do not even know the reason why she had such hatred in her eyes, so what I did was approach her. At first she hesitated that I should leave her alone and get out of her way. But as I continue to approach her, I could already feel the anger inside me because I really wanted to know why she stops talking to me. So instead of going with my anger, I just continued approaching her. Finally, she told me the reason why she stop talking to me and have this hatred look on me was that, she had a nightmare and in that nightmare she told me that I did not save her when the monster killed her that is why she hated me, it is funny to think that the reason why she never talk to me and hated me was only because of the nightmare she had. While listening to her explanation I finally let go of the bad emotions I’m feeling inside and come into terms with her. She said she forgave me, even though it was just from her dream, and we just laugh it off.






SOURCES: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

African Literature

PIANO AND DRUMS BY GABRIEL OKARA