Saturday, October 30, 2021

Japanese Literature: My Native Village


My Native Village


        According to Scribd, My Native Village was a poem written by Sei Ito. According to Wikipedia, Sei Ito was a Japanese poet, novelist, and translator. 

        While searching the internet, I was not able to grab a whole copy of the poem but I was able to get the first stanza of the poem. Below is the first stanza of the poem "My Native Village":


"How poor my native village looks! 

The hills with all the leaves shaken off- 

How thin they look in the evening dusk! 

I walk through the village In the cold driving rain, 

With all my knees all wet, 

Throwing glances from under the black umbrella at my 

Village, to which I shall never return."

~lines from My Native Village by Sei Ito



        What I understood in this part is that, the used of exclamation point somehow reflects to the tone of exaggerated emotion. I can see that the persona was telling us about the things that are not fascinating to see in their village and the weather was not good because it was raining. In the last line of this part of the poem, it tells us that the persona is leaving his hometown forever. I can also feel that there is sadness present in the poem because at the last line of this first stanza, there was no exclamation point anymore, which I think is a way of telling the readers that there is a change of emotion which is sadness, since he was going to leave his hometown forever.

        I learned from the poem that people sometimes do not stay forever in the place or the village where they live. I also learned that, there are things that we do not like in the place we are living and which is visible in front of us. 






SOURCES:

No comments:

Post a Comment

African Literature

PIANO AND DRUMS BY GABRIEL OKARA