Friday, October 29, 2021

Persian Literature: The Shahnameh or Shahnama

 The Shahnameh or Shahnama 

        According to Wikipedia, The Shahnameh is a long epic poem written by Ferdowsi. Ferdowsi is a Persian poet. The Shahnameh in English is called as The Book of Kings. According to Jalal Khaleghi Mutlaq, this long epic poem teaches us the values of worshiping one God, being religiously upright, patriotism, love for the family, and helping others, specifically the poor. Ferdowsi has influence the language of Persian and also their culture.



            Ferdowsi concludes the Shahnameh by writing: 

I've reached the end of this great history 

And all the land will talk of me: 

I shall not die, these seeds I've sown will save 

My name and reputation from the grave, 

And men of sense and wisdom will proclaim 

When I have gone, my praises and my fame




           In that conclusion of his long epic poem, I have noticed that Ferdowsi intense to leave us a message and learning based on what he wrote. Other than that Ferdowsi knows that with his writings he will be able to leave a mark on this earth and still be praise even upon his death. Ferdowsi conclusion also included that even if he dies, his words and works will remain. 

        What I learned from the Shahnameh is that, in real life loving ones family is a good thing, because our family is the most important part of our well-being. Other than that, I also learned that helping others is also a way of helping ourselves because when we are able to help others it gives us happiness. I also learned about the value of worshipping one God, because in real life, we may believe in many gods but we usually worshipped one and that is God. 

        I was also impress by what I've read that Shahnameh has a great influence to Persian Language because in this piece the Persia was able to preserved their language. This give me a realization that, maybe in Philippine Literature there is a certain literary piece that reflects the language of the people before. As I have learned from my previous subject most of the literary piece of the Filipinos are pass down orally, so maybe there is a literary piece that contains the language or terms used by people before. I also learned that literature is a good way of preserving our culture, society, and beliefs, and more specifically, it is a good way of preserving our language because writers used the language they know at present. 








SOURCES:

No comments:

Post a Comment

African Literature

PIANO AND DRUMS BY GABRIEL OKARA